Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 146, miles today - 17.7, total - 2,030.7, miles to go - 155.2

August 11, 2013

Little Bigelow Lean-to to Pierce Pond Lean-to.

Last night it was a little bit chilly, which made it great for sleeping. We started hiking this morning at 7:40. It was a beautiful morning.

We had two small ups today, the rest of the trail was for the most part level. We passed Flagstaff Lake. It was very large with constant waves hitting the shoreline. We passed a few small ponds, each time hoping to see a moose.


After seven miles we stopped at the West Carry Pond Lean-to. There were several other people already there. There was trail magic in the shelter. There were three plastic containers. One had lemon squares, one had chocolate cake with chocolate icing, the other had miscellaneous snacks and candies. We all hung out there for 15-20 minutes, it was a great treat.


B-Rocket and I stopped to pick blueberries for several minutes. They were large and sweet berries. Trail fruit is always special. Later in the day, B Rocket stopped to eat more blueberries. Suddenly she said "bees", and hurried away. She said she looked down and saw several bees around her feet. Luckily she wasn't stung. When we got to the shelter Maniac told us he had got stung twice. It sounded like it was in the same location.

B-Rocket and I both fell today. B-Rocket tripped on a root and I slipped on a wet rock. I just got a little dirty, B-Rocket's wrist and knee were a little sore. But, she's fine now.

We hiked with Mud Mouth, Yard Sale and Maineiac for a few miles. Mud Mouth was telling us about their PCT thru hike. I was in the front of the line, so I didn't hear everything she was saying, but the PCT sounds like a great hike. Later we were hiking with Garfunkel. He had hiked the PCT also. B-Rocket and I asked him questions about his hike too. Here B-Rocket, the Triplets, Yard Sale and I are taking a short break.




We're staying at the Pierce Pond Lean-to. There are a total of 15 thru hikers here. Wow! This is the most thru hikers I've seen at one shelter in a long time. We have heard loons from Pierce Pond, which is in front of the shelter. B-Rocket is blowing up the pool float that she uses to sleep on.



Last year a thru hiker named Parkside drowned here in Pierce Pond. It's a large body of water. I had read that he swam out, cramped up and went under.











6 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    About eight years ago we took a road trip out west. After driving 4,500 miles over a month we returned home and my only disappointment was that we didn't see a moose. I REALLY wouldn't be pleased if I hiked as you have and didn't see a moose! There's still time! Hopefully you'll see one yet.

    Steph Welt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked closely at every pond that I've passed. I'm still hopeful.

      Delete
  2. Wondering if you all have seen any Perseid meteors, though you may not be staying up that late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a few shooting stars a couple nights ago. Reminded me of when we were in Glacier NP. I told B Rocket how cool that was.

      Delete
  3. Over 2000 miles now...I just can't believe how far you have traveled! What an adventure! Stay safe, you are almost there!! Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe I'm so close to the end. It's been a long, but awesome journey.

      Delete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.