Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 155, miles today - 21.5, total - 2,147.3, miles to go - 38.2

August 20, 2013

Cooper Brook Lean-to to Wadleigh Stream Lean-to.

I got up at 6:30 am. We started hiking at 7:45. It's a little warmer this morning than the last week or more.


The first five miles today were very easy. It looked like the 21 miles would go quick, however after the five miles the trail was full of roots and rocks. This made for very slow going and it was hard on my feet. Stepping on the top of roots, of various sizes, for several hours makes for a long day.




We stopped at the Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to for lunch. There is a great spring here. I still filtered the water, but it was refreshing to drink the cold water. Warren Doyle had signed in the log book. I had met him several days ago. I had said that he had hiked the AT seventeen times, he has actually hiked it sixteen times and is working on seventeen. I also saw where a lady named Copperhead signed in July 20. I met her in 2007 while I was doing trail maintenance at Buffalo River in Arkansas.




We crossed several streams today, we were able to rock hop all of them, keeping our feet dry. We passed several ponds, still haven't seen a moose. We stopped by Nahmakanta Lake, the trail follows along the shore for one to two miles. It's a beautiful lake. 

                                                                               B-Rocket


While we were hiking we saw an owl sitting in a tree. We watched him for a few minutes. He was huge.


                                                                              

We got to the shelter at 6:45. Long Trail is here, he's sleeping in the shelter with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.