Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 157, miles today - 13.5, total - 2,180.8, miles to go - 5.1

August 22, 2013

Hurd Brook Lean-to to The Birches Lean-to.

I started hiking at 7:00 am. B-Rocket was still getting ready, she was going to follow shortly. It was and easy 3.5 miles to the Abol Bridge Camp Store, where I planned to charge my cell phone.


When I got to the store, Long Trail was sitting outside. I talked to him for a few minutes. I went inside the store and asked if I could charge my phone. The guy said yes. After plugging in the charger I went back outside and sat with Long Trail. B-Rocket got there soon after. We planned to hang out there for awhile.
There was a registration booth 0.9 miles up trail from the store. We had to sign in there to stay at the Birches Lean-to tonight. I walked up to the booth to sign B-Rocket and I in, and then walked back to the store.
The restaurant, at the store, opened at 11:00. Our phones were still charging, so we waited to eat lunch. B-Rocket and I left there at 1:00.










We had ten easy miles to hike to reach The Birches Campsite. On the way we had to ford the lower Fork of the Nesowadnehunk Stream. It was shin deep . There was one other stream which we were able to rock hop. I took a short side trail to view the Big Niagara Falls. It was very nice.

                                                                                 B-Rocket









We stopped at the rangers station to sign in. We had to pay ten dollars each to stay at the shelter in Baxter State Park. I was the 193rd thru-hiker this year.




We walked to the shelter area. The only other nobo thru-hikers there were Long Trail and Night Rider. There were five section hikers. We all ate around the campfire and shared extra food. It would have been nice if there had been other nobo's there that we knew, but it was a fun evening just the same. We were all going to Mt. Katahdin tomorrow. By 10:00 we were inside the shelter. Soon after it started to rain.



                                                                      My last A.T. shelter

One more day to go.....I started this journey about five months ago. It's hard to believe I only have one more day as a thru-hiker. Trail life has become a way of life. Hiking each day was sort of like a job, mostly enjoyable, but many hard times too. It was something that had to be done daily, if I were to reach Mt. Katahdin.


Over the past couple weeks or so, as I've neared the end, there have been days that I've felt excitement and days I've felt a little sad. My biggest emotion right now is that of relief, knowing that I'm going to make it.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you, Dad!!! Love you and looking forward to seeing you next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Jeff! What an incredible accomplishment!!

    Stephanie Welt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it! What a remarkable beginning to your retirement!

    Carol Ladrigan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.