Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 150, Zero day, total miles - , miles to go -

August 15, 2013

Zero day in Monson, ME.

I got up at this morning a little before 7:00. At 7:15 I walked 0.5 miles to the Shaw Hostel for breakfast. Lakeshore doesn't serve breakfast. Shaw's has an AYCE for $9.00. It was very good. There were a dozen thru-hikers eating there. Most of them had stayed at Shaw's. There was Garfunkel, Mud Mouth, Yard Sale, Gonzo, Rainbow Braid, and Roadrunner.


After breakfast I went back to Lakeshore House. I took a shower, and B-Rocket and I washed all of our clothes together. They had loaner clothes for us to wear while doing laundry. I laid on my bunk bed for a while and took a nap on one of the couches in the afternoon.




The people here at Lakeshore will do a food drop about half way through the 100 Mile Wilderness. We put food in a five gallon bucket, they put our name on the lid, then they take it to a spot in the woods near the trail. They said there will be a pink ribbon tied to a tree and that our buckets will be fifty feet behind there. The location is at a gravel road crossing. Doing this will help keep our pack weight down. One of my chores for today was going through the food I bought yesterday. Making sure I had enough food for each section.


I laid in the hammock at the edge of the lake for about one hour. Listening to the waves hit the shoreline was very peaceful. I thought back to the first day of my hike. I remember wondering about what experiences I would have and all the people I would meet. Now, after over 2,000 miles behind me, I'm sure I've met at least a thousand people, and I've had enough experiences to fill a lifetime. It's been a grand adventure.
B-Rocket, Roadrunner and Patches went swimming in the lake while I laid in the hammock at the lakes edge.






This afternoon Patches, the sobo, and I realized he gave me a ride in Harper's Ferry when I was hitch hiking. That was over two months ago. I thanked him again for picking me up. Patches is thru-hiking southbound.

I had a pizza for dinner here at Lakeshore House. Back upstairs I  watched TV for a couple hours. I'm anxious to start the 100 Mile Wilderness tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. One word for you: WOW! Have an enjoyable 100 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    Congratulations on your journey as you wind down the last 100 miles or so. Well said in that you have a lifetime of experiences in the last few months. School starts Monday and the Madeira crew will be cheering for you down the stretch.

    Pat Shea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were so lucky Mr. Smith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.