Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 153, miles today - 11.7, total - 2,109.1

August 18, 2013

Chairback Gap Lean-to to Sidney Tappan Campsite.

I woke up this morning at 5:45. I laid in my sleeping bag until 6:15. For breakfast I had three Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks, two Pop Tarts, one granola breakfast bar, and a small box of raisins. I woke B-Rocket up at 7:00. We weren't planning many miles today, so we didn't need to get out early. It was about 8:15 when we started hiking. It was a clear and cool morning. The rest of the week is supposed to be sunny and dry. We can only hope.


We went over Chairback Mountain.  The trail followed along the ridge giving us a great view of the mountains.

                                                             View from Chairback Mountain




 Later we had to ford the West Branch of the Pleasant River. It was just over ankle deep, but it was about 100 feet across. While hiking we  passed a few sobo's and met one nobo. The nobo's name is Long Trail, he's from Vermont.




We stopped along side a fair size mountain stream to eat lunch. The stream was almost a cascade as it dropped down the mountain. It was somewhat loud, but at the same time relaxing. We took a long lunch break since we only had 3-4 miles left to do. After eating I took a nap. B-Rocket read a book on her iPod.


We stopped briefly at the Carl A. Newhall Lean-to. We signed the log book and used the privy.
We had two more miles to reach the Sidney Tappan Campsite. We had to go over Gulf Hagas Mountain, it was a 700 ft. up. Once at the campsite we walked 200 yards down to a spring to get water. It is the best water source I've seen for a long time.

My tent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.