Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 103, miles today - 16.6, total - 1,450.2

June 28, 2013

Morgan Stewart Shelter to Wiley Shelter.

B-Rocket, Moxie and I were on trail this morning at 7:30.

After about three miles at NY 55, Moxie went into Poughquag, NY. It was three miles off trail. She wanted to get a few things at the store. B-Rocket and I continued on.

After a few more miles we took a long break at the edge of Nuclear Lake. In the 60's  and 70's there was an experimental nuclear reactor here. The lake is man made and was part of that project. I found a tick on my head as I was hiking. It was the second one that I found attached. The other one was a few weeks ago. I have found a few on my socks or shorts in the past.




After another five miles we came to West Dover Road. Next to the road was the Dover Oak. It's the largest oak tree on the A.T. It's girth is 20 feet. It is estimated to be over 300 years old.




B-Rocket and I decided to go into Pawling, NY. It is 3.1 miles east of where the tree is located. We both needed to charge our phones. It was 12:15, so we could eat lunch in town and charge our phones. Two guys came out of the trail, they had done a short dayhike. I asked if they were going to town. When they said yes, I asked if we could have a ride. They were hesitant at first, but finally said okay. 

B-Rocket and I both had a burger and fries. We let our phones charge for about 90 minutes or more. We were able to hitch a  ride back to the trail within five minutes.

We were back on trail at 2:30. We passed the Appalachian Trail Railroad Station. There is just a bench where the train will stop if you want to go into New York City.




The trail today passed through some very pretty areas. Especially the last seven miles. It was a beautiful forest. There were many rock walls again today. The mosquitoes continue to be a nuisance. B-Rocket wore her bug head-net most of the day.






We got to the shelter at about 5:30. Moxie got here around 7:00. Other thru hikers that arrived are Garbage Man, Little Foot, Hooker, and Garfunkel. They all got here after 8:30. B Rocket and I were the only ones that slept in the shelter, so we both put up our tents to protect us from the insects. It was the second night in a row that we were the only ones in the shelter and that we put our tents up inside.

After 1.2 miles tomorrow I will enter Connecticut. New York has been a nice state to hike in. There were some challenging sections, but overall beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you're having an amazing journey! The photos are fantastic. They're bringing back so many memories of my thru hike. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Inspiring! I'm looking forward to all the entries to come. Happy trails!!

    -Shane 'Half Moon' Sheldon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 5 states left! Ticks are supposed to bad this year -next time you get to a dollar general buy some flea/tick collars and attach a piec to your shoes or wear them like anklets and I read that should keep them off-worth a shot if they get bad in Lyme country (Conn)! Keep on truckin!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.