Sunday, June 23, 2013

Day 97, miles today - 19.6, total - 1346.1

June 22, 2013

Mashipacong Shelter to Pochuck Mountain Shelter.

Before Lil Bit and I had left the shelter Hawkeye walked past. We talked for a few minutes. The other guys had already left.

                                                Lil Bit                                                      Hawkeye


In 6.5 miles we would reach the High Point State Park Visitors Center. We were told thru-hikers got a free soft drink there. When I reached the Visitors Center Amos, Sundance and Garfunkel were sitting by a tree drinking a can of Pepsi. I went in and got a can too. I stayed inside so I could charge my phone. A little later Lil Bit and Hawkeye showed up.

Sundance and Garfunkel said they were going to stop by the beach that was a mile or so away. It was within the Park. You could swim there and they had a concessions stand. I stayed at the Visitors Center for another half hour charging my phone. When I left I told Lil Bit goodbye. She's not doing many miles today because she is going to pick up a maildrop tomorrow at the Post Office in Unionville NY. So, I may not see her again.



                               Sundance and Garfunkle                         



Lil Bit


I took the side trail down to the beach area. I didn't plan to swim, but I thought I would eat lunch. Sundance, Garfunkel, Finder, Fatty, Mac Jetpack, Molly, and Perogi were already there. I didn't realize there were so many other backpackers so close together. It's always cool when we bunch up like that. I got a few things to eat and hung out there for a hour or so. When I left I hiked with Molly for about two miles. I first met her and Perogi in Harper's Ferry, while I was waiting for the train going to DC. They were both going too. Molly is a very fast hiker. We talked about a variety of things. After a couple miles I told her I was going to slow down a little.



Finder and Mac Jetpack


The trail passes very close to Unionville NY. Most of the people at the beach were going to stop by there to buy a few snacks or eat dinner. I went ahead and stopped too. There was one store, one restaurant/pub and one gas station. Eight to ten people stopped. I got a little to eat. There was a lady near me that asked about our thru-hike. I told her about our hike, and then asked about their town and where people worked. She said they are ninety minutes from New York City. She went on to say that her husband was a Fireman and that he had died in the World Trade Center on 9/11. I think that was the first time I spoke to someone with a direct connection like that.








We had just under five miles to reach the shelter. There was a 400 ft climb right before it. It was a little bit of a workout. When I got to the shelter, the mosquitoes were as bad as they were last night, which was terrible. I put my tent up and got inside of it. Everyone else did the same as they came into the shelter area. Right here by me is Sundance, Garfunkel, Mac Jetpack, Finder, Fatty, Molly, Perogi and a new flip flop backpacker named Bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.