Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 95, miles today - 13.5, total - 1,302.8

June 20, 2013

Delaware Water Gap to Campsite at Rattlesnake Spring Campsite

I got up this morning at about 7:00. I would have liked to have slept later, given how late it was when I went to sleep. The church hostel was a nice stop.




Sundance, Garfunkel, Amos and I walked a few blocks to a diner that we heard was good. As we were walking down the street I saw Garbage Man and Little Foot walking on the other side of the street. I went over to say hello. They had just hiked into town and were headed to the diner to eat too. We all sat together and we each had a hearty breakfast.





Garbage Man and Little Foot


Sundance, Garfunkel, Amos and I were all going to leave mid day. It's nice having a little down time every five or six days. I went to the Post Office and looked around the Outfitter. When I got back to the church I saw Pfeiffer and Lentil. I talked to them for awhile. Sundance, Garfunkel and Amos decided to head out at 12:00. I was charging my phone so I stayed behind. Garbage Man and Little Foot came in. They were going to take showers before heading back out on trail. 

I walked a short distance to a ice cream shop called Zoe's. It was pretty cool inside. Sort of old fashion. I had a hot fudge sunday. I had seen handouts about the Poconos, so I asked the lady there where it was. She said we are in the Poconos. I didn't realize that. I had heard of it before, but didn't know where or what it was. 


At 1:30 I had my pack and was headed out of town. At 1:45 I crossed the I-80 Delaware River Bridge.




 It was goodbye Pennsylvania, hello New Jersey. It felt great entering into NJ.




I went through a park system on the Delaware River. I walked over to a picnic area where a lot of people were. There were a few people swimming in the river near the shore. It didn't look like something I'd want to do, but they seemed to be enjoying it. I then entered the Worthington Forest. It was a well maintained park. The trails were in great shape and it obviously got a lot of day use. The further I got from the parking lot the fewer people there were.






When I got to Sunfish Pond, which is a beautiful lake, I saw the three guys taking a break. From that point on we hiked together.








 When we were about three miles from where we planned to camp, we saw Lil Bit. She's by herself so we told her she could camp with us if she wanted. She's a young girl from Oregon. She was going to college in Toronto. She plans to go back to school when she finishes her hike. She started hiking a few weeks ago with a friend. The friend quit but Lil Bit decided to continue on. She plans to hike to Maine and then return to PA. and hike south to Georgia. It's called a flip flop. Once we had setup camp she said she lost her squeeze bag for her water filter, so she borrowed mine. I gave her one of my one-liter bottles which will work with her filter. I can buy another bottle the next time I get to a store.

                                               Sundance                                                     Lil Bit

                                                  Amos                                                     Garfunkle

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping that you and my daughter,"Little Foot" and her boyfriend, "Garbage Man" would reconnect again on the trail. Thank You for the photos!
    I was fortunate enough to meet up with them myself just outside of Stroudsburg, PA. for a couple of days.We enjoyed good food, drink and rest!
    When you get to Maine, I hope to treat you all "trail magic" here!
    Carrie Reed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I continue to see them. They are both very nice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeff
    Looks like the condition of the AT in my home state is in need of some help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job negotiating the rocks and boulders! Hot and humid here in Cinti. Beautiful stream pictures. Keep on Blazin'!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.