Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 82, miles today- 19.6, total- 1,087.8

Tumbling Run Shelter to Birch Run Shelter.

When I was leaving the shelter this morning I saw the caretaker of the shelter working near the privy. I went over to thank him for keeping the shelter in such great shape. It was one of the nicest shelters I have ever seen.

Most of the trail was pretty easy today. There were a few short sections that were very rocky, making for slow going. It was dry and cool today.

I called Sequoia who lives in Gettysburg PA. He was hiking the AT, but twisted his ankle and had to get off trail. I hiked several days with him a month or so ago. He said he would meet me at Caledonia State Park for lunch. The trail passes through the park. He brought me a Subway sandwich, chips, cookies, and a drink. Trail magic! We sat in a picnic area for 45 minutes. He said he would try to meet me at Pine Grove Furnace State Park mid day tomorrow. I'll be there after ten miles. That will be after the actual half way point of the trail. Many thru hikers do the half gallon ice cream challenge there. The challenge is to eat a half gallon of ice cream at the half way point. I will more then likely give it a shot.

I stopped at the Quarry Gap Shelter. It's a beautiful shelter. It even had hanging plants and a small pretty stream right in front of the shelter.

I hiked the last few miles today with ET. He's a nice guy. Two miles before reaching the shelter we passed a cabin with a group of guys. They offered us hot dogs and Gatorade. We gladly excepted. More trail magic!

We reached the shelter at 5:30 pm. Professor was already there. There were many section/weekend backpackers. There was a family of mom, dad, and three kids. Two of the kids offered us quesadillas. Served on an upside down Frisbee. It tasted great. A little later they brought us marshmallows and chocolate bars. My third trail magic today!

It's 8:30 pm, everyone sleeping in the shelter is already in their bag. Including me. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.