Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 99, miles today - 20.4, total - 1,385.1

June 24, 2013

Campsite at Cascade Brook to Arden Valley Road

I started hiking at 7:20 this morning. Sundance and Garfunkel left a little before me. Finder left after me.

The water at the stream near our campsite was very dark. It looked like tea. The Wildcat Shelter was in five miles where I could get water again. Hopefully it would be better. Garfunkel and I both stopped there. There was a good spring with clear water. We both took a break at the shelter.

As I was leaving I saw B-Rocket at the spring. She was with Moxie. I had first met B-Rocket at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin TN, a long time ago. I had said hi to her a few times on trail, but besides that, I had never really talked to her. It was my first time meeting Moxie. I ended up hiking with them for the rest of the day.

                                                  Moxie                                                   B-Rocket






The trail today consisted of ridge walking on large slabs of rock in the morning, but most of the day we had a lot of short but steep ups and downs. It was very tiring. Especially in ninety degree weather. By the end of the day I was worn out, and my feet, knees and legs were sore.  I plan to back off on the miles if the temperatures stay this high. When we got close to one road crossing there were 20 or more one-gallon jugs of water. Trail angels had left them. In this heat, and with the lack of good water in this area, it was a welcomed sight.

Finder, Moxie, Captain Awesome and B-Rocket


We went through a tight section in an area with many large boulders called the Lemon Squeezer. I saw ET as we approached the boulder area. We had to take our backpacks off to get through it. There was also a little boulder climbing. Challenging, but fun.

                                                   ET


When we got to the East Mombasha road crossing we saw Finder sitting next to a cooler. There were several gallon jugs of water in it. With the  lack of water available we were glad to get it. There were business cards with a couples name and phone number. The card said if you need anything to call.

Moxie called to see what they were offering. The guy told her that him and his wife enjoy helping backpackers. Their names are John and Susan. He offered to pick us up, give us a place to sleep, dinner, breakfast, laundry and a shower. Free of charge. 




We hiked one mile past the shelter, that we had planned to stay at, to a road crossing where John picked us up. The plan was for just the four of us, but we ended up having Fatty and Triple (Captain Awesome) with us too. The guy said we were all welcome. He had other hikers already at his house. The five of us were the only thru-hikers. They have a very nice house. We had snacks, dinner, ice cream, showers, and laundry. After a twenty mile day, it was very nice!

John, B-Rocket, Captain Awesome, and Finder

                                                  John                                                         Susan

Loaner clothes

1 comment:

  1. Some of the trail looks rough. I guess the states are going faster now, but the terrain looks more challenging. Glad you're getting such good support.

    Keep it safe and keep posting! I enjoy reading about your adventure and seeing the pics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.