Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 81, miles today- 18.3, total- 1068.2

Free State Hostel to Tumbling Run Shelter.

I got up at 7:00 am. It wasn't raining at that time. We looked at the weather radar. There was a large band of rain coming our direction. I decided to start hiking anyway. I was on trail at 8:00. By 8:30 there was a light mist coming down. By 10:30 there was a light but steady rain. I hiked with Professor and ET, at different times. ET is from San Diego. He was originally from London England. He's lived in the States for 30 years. He has a strong English accent. As we neared a road crossing there was a bag of apples and a container of fresh strawberries laying on a large rock. We both stopped for a few minutes enjoying the trail magic.

At 12:00 I reached the Pen Mar County Park. It's a small but very nice park. From there I was going to hitch hike two miles into Waynesboro, PA. to resupply. I had stood there in a steady rain for ten minutes with my thumb out. I debated if I should start walking or stay put. A few minuets later a guy in a mini van stopped. His name was Allen. He was going to the Subway inside the Walmart to get subs to take home for him and his wife. I suggested that if I were quick enough in getting my food that perhaps he could give me a ride back. I didn't need much time. At first he said he was going right back, but by the time we were walking towards the store, he said he would wait a few minuets. I was on a mission. I felt like the person on the old game show, rushing through a store with a cart, having one minute to grab as many items as possible. I must have said "excuse me" and "I'm sorry" a dozen times as I zipped through the aisles.  As I headed towards the door, I saw Allen sitting on a bench. I had made it! At 12:40 I was back at the park. Allen even offered to let me stay the night at his house.

At 1:00 pm I crossed the Mason Dixon Line. I had entered Pennsylvania. Maryland is now completed. Six states now behind me.

I got to the Tumbling Run Shelter at 5:00 p.m. ET and Slacks are tenting. In the shelter with me are Mountain Goat and TK. Guy and girl. They are both from New Hampshire. They started the Trail on March 19, the same day as me. This is the first time I've seen them. They are both very friendly. TK hung my food bag and got a bottle of water for me when she was getting water herself. We talked for quite awhile about different people that we knew from the trail. Taking the Zeros in Harper's Ferry and DC is giving me the opportunity to meet a lot of new people.

I wasn't able to take many pictures today because of the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.