Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 94, miles today - 17.2, total- 1,289.3

June 19, 2013

Campsite at 1,272.1 to Delaware Water Gap, PA.

I got up at 6:00 this morning and was on trail at 7:00. It was another beautiful day. It was warm and sunny.

The trail today was a mixture of small rocks and large boulders. I saw two deer and two black snakes. The second snake was at the Kirkridge Shelter. Sundance, Garfunkel and I were taking a break at the shelter. We watched it for at least ten minutes as it worked it's way into the shelter. It didn't seem to mind that we were just feet away.








As I neared  Delaware Water Gap I saw a lot of dayhikers. There were a couple of nice overlooks on the way. I could look down at the river and roadway.






I got into town at 2:30 pm. The trail passes through one end of town. My first stop was the Church of the Mountain Hostel. It's donation based. They have a bunk room, shower, and break area with couches and even a recliner. Sundance, Garfunkel and I went to a motel down the street to use their washer and dryer. The dryer didn't work so we took our clothes back to the church. We laid our clothes out on the parking lot to dry. 








Each Thursday they have a dinner for the hikers and church members. It was an excellent meal. Hikers there were Amos, Sundance, Garfunkel, Finder, Fatty, Techie, Lucky Strike, Lil Bit and Bison. Everyone was super nice.








 Ken, a member of the church, offered to give three of us a ride  to Walmart in Stroudsburg, the next town over. It was great! 




Sundance mentioned that the NBA championship game was on tonight. Sundance, Garfunkel, Lucky Strike, Amos, Bison and I went to the Sycamore Grille to watch the game. After the game we went back to the church. We stayed up for forty-five minutes talking and eating the left over's from the dinner. They had given us a few plates full of food to eat later.



4 comments:

  1. Only 910 miles-keep those steep rock climbs in your head-that's what Maine looks like! I'm loving that guy who took you to WalMart with his misbuttoned shirt.:-D
    Glad you are getting some "real" food now and then-your mass intake of honey buns is concerning me ;-)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff! You are doing an amazing job! I was in the Great Smokey Mountains and day hiked the appalachian trail! Thought of you :) Glad everything is going well and you are enjoying it all. Keep going!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.