Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 98, miles today - 18.6, total - 1,364.7

June 23, 2013

Pochuck Mountain Shelter to Campsite at Cascade Brook.

I got up this morning at 6:15. It was already warm and humid. The mosquitoes were already active. Garfunkel left camp at 7:00. I started hiking at 7:15. Sundance left a little after me.

There was suppose to be water near the shelter, but there wasn't. What little water I had, I drank at breakfast. There was supposed to be a stream after three miles, hopefully it would be running. It was so hot and humid, that before I reached the stream, my shirt and bandanna were both soaked from perspiration. I was definitely ready for some water.

I crossed a gravel drive and saw a sign for some sort of summer camp. I could see a few cars 100 yards away. I was sure I could get water there. As I entered the camp, I saw a lady coming out of one of the several buildings. I told her of my situation. She said there was a hose at the dinning hall. She walked over to show it to me. I could see a group of children near a small lake. She said it was a camp for 9 to 15 year olds. I drank one liter of water there and took two liters with me. I also poured water over my shirt. 




Soon after, Garfunkel, Sundance and I bunched up. We hiked together the rest of the day. When we came to the stream listed in the guide, Finder was sitting there taking a break. The three of us washed our shirts in the cool stream. I also washed my bandanna. It felt great! We passed a lake where park employees were trying to dislodge a beaver dam. They said the beavers will  build it back within a short period of time.

Beaver dam

Garfunkle

Blazer


After six miles or so we came to the NJ-94 road crossing. Finder, Sundance, and Garfunkel were going to the west to Heaven Hill Farm, a store that sold fruit, ice cream and other items. I needed to go to the east into the town of Vernon NJ, 2.4 miles away. I had to pick up a mail drop at the Post Office. I saw a car pull into the small parking lot by the trail. I went over to confirm which way the town was. They offered to drive me to town. Their names were Tom and Carol. They were going to do a dayhike on the AT. When we got to the Post Office they said they would wait and drive me back. I asked them to drop me off at the market that the others went to. It worked out great. 

Carol and Tom


At Heaven Hill Farm I had two donuts, two plums, one peach and two scoops of ice cream. Finder, being from Cincinnati, said the ice cream is good, but not as good as Graeter's. We talked about our favorite flavors. Mac Jetpack and Bella showed up as we were getting ready to leave.

 
Heaven Hill Farm

Garfunkle, Sundance and Finder

Mac Jetpack and Bella


 Sundance, Garfunkle and I hiked about six more miles to the Warwick Turnpike road crossing.

Garfunkle




 From there we  hitch hiked into Warwick NY to resupply. After ten minutes a lady named Katie offered us a ride. She owns a gym in town. She took us to the grocery store.



Katie


We got the items we needed at the grocery store, and  then set out front on a bench organizing our food bags. We also ate some fried chicken from the store. We talked to a few people that passed by about our hike. When we finished we went back to the street. The second car that passed stopped to give us a ride.




At 5:00 pm we entered into the state of New York. It was a great feeling! To think that I hiked all the way to New York. Wow!




We were hiking on top of the ridge and a storm was moving in. As we were dropping down some we saw Finder sitting under a large root mass of a tree that had fallen, taking cover from the stormy weather. We all went down a little further to where a brook was. There was a small clearing there, we setup our tents. We had planned to hike six more miles, but felt this was the best option. The rain was brief.

1 comment:

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.