Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 11, miles today-15.5, total-136.3

I would like to thank you for following my blog, and for those that have made comments.  I have read all of them. It's comforting to know that so many people are a part of my journey. It makes being alone, less alone.

Today was a smooth day. It was around 25 degrees when I got up. I got on trail at 8:50 am. The deep muddy foot prints on the trail were frozen making walking a little tricky. When I was on the north face of a mountain the trail was still snow covered. The sky was clear most of the day providing nice views.  When I got to Tellico Gap there were six slack packers waiting for their ride back to a hostel. A slack packer is someone that hikes without carrying all of their gear.  They have someone drop them off and pick them up at the end of the day. The last 5 miles today was mostly steep down hill. Steep down hills are hard on the feet and knees. I hiked briefly with a young lady from upstate NY. She was hiking a little slow for me, so I passed her. Other than her I hiked alone. I don't have my "hiker legs" yet, but hiking up the mountains are easier than when I started. There are usually at least two big ups (mountains ) each day. I'm staying in the A. Rufus Morgan Shelter with five others. It rained lightly the last hour of my hike and continues to rain now. Hopefully the shelter roof doesn't leak. Tomorrow I will be at Nantahala Outdoor Center. It's only one mile away. Depending on the weather I may take a nero. I'm hoping a couple guys behind me catch up before I start the Smokys, which I'll be starting in the next few days. 

3 comments:

  1. Great pics. I am so glad that you decided to blog. It makes me feel like I know so much more about your trip. Be safe. Love. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey up the AT along with your accompanying blogue is a great way to experience one of our great national treasures vicariously. Keep it up! Following you all the way and offering prayers for your safety.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.