Thursday, March 28, 2013

Day 8, miles today-12.5, total-93.9

It had snowed most of the night. There was 6-8 inches on the ground where we were.  It was bitterly cold.  Going forward it was about 28 miles to a road crossing with a town nearby. The cold and snow made it very difficult. This was definitely one of the harsh days.  I started hiking at 9:30. There were a couple hikers ahead of me making it a little easier to get through the snow. It was still very slow going. There were places that the snow had drifted to 30 inches. It was a brutal day for hiking but at the same time very beautiful.  It was a winter wonderland!

I made it to Carter Gap shelter at 5:00 pm. By six I was in my sleeping bag. I decided to go into Franklin NC tomorrow evening. I wanted to get my sleeping bag dried from the snow that had blown into the shelters. 

1 comment:

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.