Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 5, miles today- 12.8, total- 63.3

Last night I stayed at Blue Mountain Shelter.  I got there at 5:30 pm. I hiked the last two miles with Head Bone. We have similar hiking speed, so hopefully I'll see him from time to time.  He's a friendly guy. His wife is picking him up at a road crossing b/c he lost his money and credit card. He's staying in town a couple nights.  He asked if I wanted a ride to town, I told him I was going to stay on trail.  I can tent for free, and like someone I know always says, "free is for me ".

There is a group of Veterans thru hiking.  There were eight of them at this shelter. 

It was raining this morning so I waited to start hiking until 11:00 am. There was a dense fog most of the day. This afternoon I talked to Oaks and Sweet Pea at an overlook.  They took my picture and I took theirs. They were a young couple in their twenties. 

At the campsite I'm at now there are three other guys. I got here at 6pm. I got in my tent at 8pm. It started to rain soon after. Most backpackers go to sleep around 9pm. That's considered "hikers midnight ".

Tomorrow I'm taking a nero. That's when you do a low mileage day. A zero is when you don't hike at all for the day. I'm only hiking about 6 miles.

I'm picking up a food drop at Blueberry Patch Hostel, and stay there if there's room. I should be there mid day. It'll give me a chance to rest up.

Its almost hikers midnight. Lights out!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U are lucky you just got light rain : ) We got snow :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.