Sunday, March 3, 2013

It won't be long now!


My plan is to leave Cincinnati on March 18. I should be on trail Tuesday, March19.

It's hard to believe it's actually happening. I first thought about the possibility of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2009. The last couple of years I've thought about it everyday, really...EVERYDAY.

I've talked to a number of people that have thru-hiked the Trail, to get their advice. I've read three books about thru-hikers. Read many journals/blogs of thru-hikers. Not just to prepare for my hike, but also because I enjoy hearing about it. I've done enough backpacking to know that there will be many twist and turns along the way. Once I'm on trail, I will let the hike come to me. Barring any injuries, I believe I can do it.

I'll try to find enjoyment in every day, even the difficult ones. Let the fun begin!

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read all about it!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really going to miss you but so happy for you that you're fulfilling your dream. Can't wait to follow along your journey on here! I love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mr. Smith's daughter??????????

      Delete
  3. AWESOME... So cool. You are about to begin the journey of a life time.
    You are living your dream!!!! May God bless you and keep you safe on your journey.
    Happy trails my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you that you are living your dream! It was always fun to hear you talk about how much you loved the outdoors and hiking. What an amazing commitment. May it be more incredible than you have imagined! Be safe, have fun, enjoy!

    Tricia Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be Careful i hope u don't run into any bad weather

    ReplyDelete
  6. To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    And eternity in an hour.

    Vaya con Dios, Jeff.

    -Susan and Richie Hill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just now following up on e-mail from Greater Cincinnati Backpacker's Meetup. How awesome for you to have the time for a thru-hike. In very short order you'll have more AT miles than me! I'm looking forward to following along via your trail journal!

    -Zuper Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just now following up on e-mail from Greater Cincinnati Backpacker's Meetup. How awesome for you to have the time for a thru-hike. In very short order you'll have more AT miles than me! I'm looking forward to following along via your trail journal!

    -Zuper Dave

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.