Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 6, miles today- 6.3, total- 69.6

I woke up to dense fog and a light steady rain. There was a strong sustained wind and rain overnight.  Some rain blew in my tent.  I packed up and ate breakfast on trail, I had a Snickers, breakfast bar and some nuts as I hiked.
I was headed for Blueberry Patch Hostel near Hiawassee Ga. When I got to the road at Dicks Creek Gap I met Jane Kurk and her mother Ethelwyn Bowen, they were handing out fruit. They offered to give me a ride to the hostel. They were both very nice.
I got to the hostel at 12:30pm. It's a Christian ministry operated by Gary and Lennie Poteat. I got a bunk, hot shower, they did my laundry, and they serve breakfast.  All donation based.  There's ten backpackers here now. It's a great place. 
Wanderlust who I met at Neal's Gap is here. He's from NY. He's a young guy and a strong hiker.
Five of us went into town to Big Al's Pizza.
It's nice having a relaxing day.
Wanderlust

8 comments:

  1. You're almost done with Georgia - congratulations! Your pictures made me miss it more than I already do. Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog with pics is great and I love reading about all the trail magic. There are many good peeps in the world. ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to all your posts! I love hearing all the trail magic and seeing all the trail angels you meet. Keep trucking!
    •<|:-D -Nikki (that's me with my party girl hat on)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that what you're doing is amazing and 20 yrs. ago I would have begged to go with you. I'm looking forward to following your progress thru your blog...the pictures are breathtaking! Be careful and have FUN!!

    Love,
    Your cousin, Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're living it up! Glad to hear things are going so well :)

    I love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was feeling sorry for myself being stuck inside on a cold Spring Break, but at least I have an inside. This trek is an inspiration and something I've thought of doing but may have to settle for following your journey. The pics provide an amazing glimpse into what it must be like on the trail. On to New Hampshire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I meant Maine. Didn't realize I'd be hatman, but didn't realize you'd be Blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff,
    I can see the Abe starting to show...Stay safe and enjoy, I do enjoy tracking your progress.
    Donnie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.