Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thru-hike presentation




On Tuesday, March 5, at the Madeira Elementary School, I gave a presentation about my upcoming thru-hike. I spoke to about 200 third and fourth grade students. It was great to be able to share with them the love that I have for backpacking and about the journey that I am about to begin.

The items that I covered were;  
            
1. Location and length of the A.T.             7. Shelters and my tent 
2. Why I'm hiking it                                   8. Water sources and purification
3. My preparation                                     9. Food options and cooking
4. Finding my way                                    10. Animals on the trail
5. Clothing                                               11. Trail names, mine is Blazer
6. Trekking poles and misc gear               12. Trail magic

The students were all great! They had many good questions afterwards. The majority of their questions were the same ones that I have heard from adults over the last few months. Hopefully, I will be able to complete the hike as planned, and then speak to them again in the Fall.

While on trail, I'm sure that I'll think back to the students many times. Remembering their interest and enthusiasm will no doubt help me get through some of the difficult times that I'm bound to face.  



5 comments:

  1. Good LUCK Jeff. I've wanted to do a long hike someday and following others it all I've done so far. I'm looling forward to following your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jeff! Its been a long time since we hiked but I still have and use the deer trail camera you were nice enough to give me. Ben and I are doing our section hike the first week of May going from Standing Bear to Hot Springs. Its not our usual long haul,but it gets us out on the trail. Enjoy and be safe!

    Brian Bolin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome to see you sharing your story! I'm sure you have inspired more than one kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff,

    Good luck, my friend. I have thought about thru hiking EVERYDAY, and I know you know what I mean when I say EVERYDAY, for the last 20 years. I have sectioned hike many many sections of the AT and I still get mesmerized every time I go and cant wait to thru hike. I WILL do it some day... I know I will. I will follow you this year. We are doing a very small section in the Smokies the week after April with my son and another younger boy, so we will be seeing many thru hikers, just like last year. Good luck, my friend, I know you will do well......ONWARD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long have you had "Blazer" as a trail name and how did you get it? I don't remember that. Is it new?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.