Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 3, miles today- 10.7, total- 31.7

Last night we stayed at Woody Gap. There was a constant strong wind from 11 pm until this morning at 9 am. The temperature was in the teens. The wind chill must have been near zero. The loud sound of the wind and the cold made it difficult to get much sleep, and an even more difficult time getting out of the sleeping bag this morning. 

About an hour into our hike we came to Preaching Rock. An overlook with an amazing view of mountain ranges as far as the eye could see. While it was cold, it was clear and sunny.  Three dayhikers there offered us bagels with cream cheese and lox, which we gladly excepted. 

At mid day while stopped for a break in a sunny location I took my tent and sleeping bag out let them dry out. They had gotten ice and a little snow on them last night. It looked like I was having a yard sale.

Later we came to Blood Mountain. It was a 1,000 ft climb over 1.3 miles, which is a big climb.  The view from there was very nice in all directions.

I made it back to Mountain Crossings hostel where I was able to take a much needed hot shower. A church group was serving lasagna at the hostel.  It was very good!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are meeting lots of great people with FOOD! keep posting. We are having fun following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am enjoying your travels. My kids graduated in 2002 and 2005 and I follow the events of MHS. Members of our family have walked parts of the trail, including the last mile in Maine one summer on our way to the Gaspe Peninsula. Great memories you're building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that part of Georgia. Congrats on making it to Neel's Gap! When I hiked, I felt like that was my first hurdle; once I got past it I felt like I had really proved something to myself. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures Jeff...watch out for those bears!! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, Don't accept bagels from bears.....
    Sandbag

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to see u on the trail and doing so good. Stay warm and dry. The temps here are in the 20's at night but with rain. I only did a 10 mile stretch this morning before I got to a little grocery store where they offered to put me up for the weekend to get me out of the freezing rain. I am still on the Alabama roadwalk. I start the Pinhoti Trail in less than 15 miles.
    Have a wonderful time Blazer...enjoy every step...what an awesome adventure that daily awaits you.
    Princess Doah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff way proud of you cuz. Kinda cool to know someone who's actually walked the AT. Makes great party conversation!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that rock and that view! Ha! This is taking me back! About a day North of there I met bear hunters after spending the night with one of their hunting dogs that got lost and decided it didnt like being alone on the mountaun.
    - Zuper Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff,
    Day 12 looks like a beautiful spot on the river. Cold here but finally sunny! We went down to Texas over break and it was nice and moderate. Got in lots of running. Enjoying your posts. Wow, 137 miles!
    Susan C.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.