Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 104, miles today - 12.7, total - 1,462.9

June 29, 2013

Wiley Shelter to Kent, CT road crossing.

I woke up this morning at 5:30. I started hiking at about 6:30. B-Rocket and Moxie were leaving a little later. I'm getting off trail for two nights at the Kent road crossing. I may catch up with B-Rocket and Moxie in a week or so. Time will tell.

Today is another hot and humid day. The mosquitoes are out in force. I crossed into CT, back into NY and then back into CT for good. I'll only be in CT for about fifty miles.



Red eft








I crossed over the Ten Mile River on the Ned Anderson Memorial Bridge.




I got to the CT 341 road crossing at about 12:30. Waiting for me was John Nieman. I hadn't seen John since I was in Boy Scouts, almost forty years ago. I knew he lived in CT, so before I started my hike I was able to get his number, so I called him. He told me he would pick me up and that I could spend some time with him and his family. John and Sherry both thru hiked the A.T. in 1981. It was great seeing him again. He drove over sixty miles to pick me up.

We drove to East Haven, CT, where they have a cottage on the Long Island Sound. They live here in the summer months. There's a beautiful view of the beach and water. It's very relaxing here. I'm staying here with his wife Sherry and his daughter Katie. We had a great dinner on their deck which included ice cream for desert. Life is good!

John, Sherry and Blazer






I'm going to zero here tomorrow. I have several chores to take care of.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff...
    I have tried to post in the past but it didn't work. I am trying again! We have watched your journey through your blog since you began and have loved following your adventures. I also shared your blog with my students and have several of them & other friends who are following you.
    Love your photos! Thank you for taking us all along with you via your blog.
    We are proud of you!
    Love, Jeff & Karen (and family)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.