Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 109, miles today - 22.3, total - 1,535.3

July 4, 2013

Tent site near Jug End Road to Shaker Campsite.

I started hiking this morning at 7:00. It looked like it was going to be a very hot day.

The first six miles were mostly level and unobstructed. It was in a low area and a little muddy at times. There were also a lot of mosquitoes. When I went at a brisk pace, 3.5 to 4 mph, they didn't bother me at all. So I maintained a brisk pace as long as I could. I passed the Shays Rebellion Monument. I'm not familiar with it. I'll look it up when I get a chance.




As I started up East Mountain, at a slower pace, the mosquitoes hit me in force. There was a cloud of them at the top of my backpack. I was soaked with sweat, which they seemed to love. I was getting a mosquito bite every few seconds. I was smacking them as best as I could. This was one of the harshest conditions I've endured. I just told myself to keep moving and that at some point this would pass. I also thought that I'd feel better about the situation if I were hiking with someone. Near the top there was a small stream. I stopped to drink a lot of water and to rinse off. It felt great. The further up I went the better the mosquito situation became.

A little further up was a rock overlook. It had a great view of the valley and also the mountains that I had hiked across the day before. I could see Mt. Race which had the awesome view. At the overlook were two families of dayhikers. One family was from Massachusetts and the other from Connecticut. They asked a few questions about my hike. The lady named Nadia asked if I would like some food. That was an easy question to answer. I had two pieces of chicken, an apple and some chips. It was a great unexpected treat. I had went from a harsh situation with the mosquitoes to trail magic within less than one hour. Once again, life was good.




I stopped at the Tom Leonard Shelter for an extended lunch break. I stayed for two hours. After eating I took a short nap. It's been so hot and humid during the day that this seems to make sense.

I passed a large pond that had a lot of beaver activity.  I don't know if they are responsible for the whole pond or not, but they had dropped a lot of trees. 






I got to the Shaker Campsite at 7:15 pm. Calamity Jane and Bain were already there. Sundance came in at 8:15. There are several weekend hikers here too. Some are Boy Scouts. The campsite was pretty crowded but we all made do.

2 comments:

  1. Blazer. We will be in Hanover on Wed., with Magic. I have been following Moxie and understand she is no longer hiking with you. Hope to be able to see you on the trail!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blazer
    We might have a break in the rain we have had for weeks! This has been the rainiest summer I can remember. That chicken must have tasted pretty darn good. Sorry 'bout the mosquitos. Do they serve a purpose in this universe? That's one to ponder during your next 20 miles! Really enjoy the blog and keep on burning up the trail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.