Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 108, miles today - 18.4, total - 1,513.0

July 3, 2013

Tent site near US 44 to tent site near Jug End Road.

Within a couple miles I reached Undermountain Road . From there it's .0.8 miles into Salisbury. I was going into town to resupply. The first car to come by stopped to give me a ride. The guys daughter thru-hiked in 2011. I went to the Country Bistro to eat. The food was very good. Afterwards I went to the LaBonnes Market to buy food. I also got a salami and cheese sandwich to take with me for dinner. I had to throw one of my t-shirts away. It had 15-20 holes in it. It looked really bad. I have one to hike in and one to wear at night or in towns. It's nice to have something dry to change into at night. I looked at the few stores in town, but didn't find one. I then asked a few people I passed on the street if they knew where I could find one. One lady told me that there was a hiker box in the the church, and she thought there might be a t-shirt there. I looked, and sure enough there was a white cotton t-shirt in the box. It would work fine until I was able to get another merino wool shirt. Salisbury is a very pretty small town.

Once back on trail my first big up was Bear Mountain. The trail up to it was very good. When I got to the top, there was a ridge runner sitting  on a pile of rocks. We talked for several minutes. When I told him I was from Cincinnati he asked about Skyline Chilli. Going down the other side of the mountain was very steep and rocky. It was slow going.




The trail followed along side of Sages Ravine Stream. It's a beautiful stream. It was in this area that I crossed into Massachusetts. After this state I only have three to go. I feel like I'm on the home stretch, but many tough miles are still ahead of me.






When I got to the top of Mt. Race I sat down and ate the sandwich I had bought in town. From there the trail followed the edge of the ridgeline for 0.6 miles. It was perhaps the best view I've seen so far on the AT. The view was stunning! I could have stayed there all day. I then went over Mt. Everett. It was super steep, with no switchbacks. It's hard to get a lot of miles done under those conditions.








I'm tenting solo again tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Georgia!
    I'm Donnie Schilling's cousin, Monica. plz don't hold that against me. Wow what an awesome adventure you are on. We will be keeping up with your journey.

    God Bless,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.