Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 124, miles today - 16.1, total - 1,777.4

July 20, 2013

Lyme Center, NH to NH 25A.

Before leaving Bill Ackerly's house, I saw Pig Pen sitting on the back deck. I hadn't seen him since my fourth or fifth day on trail. His mother and father were doing trail magic in Georgia. Right after I left them, I met Pig Pen. I hiked for several miles with him, and for a few nights stayed at the same shelter. It was great  getting to talk to him. With the facial hair he looked a lot different, as do I of course.

B-Rocket and I, along with her mother and four friends started hiking at 8:30 am. It was a clear and warm morning. To start our morning we had a 2,000 ft. climb to the top of Smarts Mountain, which has a fire tower. There was a great view from the top of the tower. When climbing to the top of the tower the wind was very strong. I kept both hands on the railing as I went up and back down. I had hiked ahead of B-Rocket and her friends on the way up the mountain. They got to the tower one hour after me. G-Funk, Sundance and Maineiac were at the tower too.

Kelly

                                                                                                




Our next up for the day was 1,500 ft. to the top of Mt. Cube. I had been in contact with four friends from Ohio. They were going to meet me at the end of our day at NH 25A. Once again, I hiked ahead of B-Rocket and her friends.






When I reached the road crossing at 4:45 Sharon, Hank, Patty and Bruce were there along with B-Rockets mother, Jamey. It was great seeing them. Sharon, Hank and Patty are section hiking the A.T. Bruce is going to shuttle them through some sections of the trail. B-Rocket's mother gave me a soft drink and some fruit as we relaxed for a few minutes. Sundance, G-Funk and Pig Pen showed up too. After some discussion it was decided that I would spend the night with my friends at a motel. I was able to take a shower, and Sharon even did my laundry. They treated me to dinner at the Cow Restaurant.






Bruce was going to drop me off at the trail in the morning, at which time I would meet back up with B-Rocket and her friends.

The mountains have been getting bigger and prettier each day for the past week. I'm entering the White Mountain Range which is known for it's beauty, and it's difficulty. Hopefully the weather will work out for me.

1 comment:

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.