Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 121, miles today - 10.6, total - 1,744.5

July 16, 2013

VT 14, White River to NH 120.

B-Rocket's mother, Jamey, drove us from the trail angels house to VT 14, where she picked us up at yesterday. This is my first time meeting Jamey.




Within the first mile of our road walk we came to the Full Belly Deli. Z, Frost and Shadow were sitting on the porch  of the store. The store is also the post office for the area. Shadow had got a mail drop there. We stopped to talk with them for a few minutes. I first met Shadow in North Carolina, a long time ago.

                                                                                Shadow


From there we had more than a half mile road walk before getting back into the woods.

We stopped at the Happy Hill Shelter to take a break. Z and Frost arrived a few minutes later. The four of us hiked together for the next few miles. As we were about to reach the Elm Street road crossing I could see a vehicle. I half jokingly told Frost and B-Rocket that we might get some trail magic. To our surprise, that's exactly what we got.

As we reached the road we saw a lady and man. The lady asked if we were B-Rocket and Blazer. Her name is Diane. She has been following my blog, among others. She had added a comment on my blog saying that she was going to be doing trail magic near Hanover and that maybe she would see me. It was amazing running into her. The guy with her was her friend John. They had food and drinks. It was great! B Rocket, Frost, Z, Shadow and I stayed there for at least twenty minutes. Diane said she was a groupie. She enjoys following the journals of thru-hikers. It was really cool meeting  her. She lives in New Hampshire. She also enjoys hiking.



                                        Shadow, Z, Frost, Diane, Blazer, B-Rocket, Bill is sitting


After another two miles we crossed the Connecticut River. At that point I had completed Vermont. Twelve states completed! I'm now in New Hampshire. Amazing!




The trail passed through the center of Hanover. We walked pass part of Dartmouth College. As we were waiting to cross the street by the post office we saw Diane and John. They were going to a restaurant for lunch. Diane offered to buy my lunch. B-Rocket and I needed to eat, so we joined them. We went to Molly's Restaurant. Two hiking friends of theirs joined us. B-Rocket's mother was there too. The generosity of people I've met along the way has been truly amazing. It was so cool to get to meet and spend time with someone following my blog.








I went to the post office to get two boxes sent from home. After that I went to the Co-op Food Store to resupply.




Our plan was to zero in or near Hanover. I wanted to give my feet, ankles and knees a rest before starting the White's. When we were at Short and Sweets house we had got a list of people in the area that allow backpackers to stay with them. B-Rocket called Fran who was on the list. B-Rocket told her that we were hoping to find a place to spend two nights and that we would be able to hangout during the day tomorrow. Fran said that was fine. B-Rockets mother took us to Fran's house. Fran works as a MD, and said we could stay there tomorrow while she was at work. She told us to make ourselves at home. Pretty amazing!  She has a very nice and comfortable home. She has two black cats. One of them enjoyed playing in my empty boxes.




This evening, B-Rockets mother drove back to Maine. While she was here, she was very helpful in driving us anywhere we wanted to go. She is super nice.

Tomorrow will be a day of rest.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Jeff, I just got out my calculator: you have done 7/8 of the AT!...only 442 miles or 1/8 left....pretty damned impressive! Have fun in the Whites.
    Terry C

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, so my math is off a little, but its close to 1/8!...Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting closer...

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, I have been following you every day. What a journey!! The thing that I am so very impressed with is the generosity of the people you have encountered along the way. It is heartwarming to hear of the good you have witnessed and been a part of. We all hear so much bad in the news everyday, this is just uplifting!
    We all can't wait to see you when you return home to Cincinnati!! Stay safe! Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.