Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 110, miles today - 21.0, total - 1,556.3

July 5, 2013

Shaker Campsite to Cookie Lady's House at Washington Mtn. Road.

I started hiking at 7:15 this morning. I went through some low areas. The mosquitoes were not as bad today as they were yesterday. I then had a 900 ft. climb. The trail was really great. I was able to make good time going up. After ten miles I came to Upper Goose Pond. I saw a few fisherman in boats. It was a very pretty area.






Along side the lake was a shady area with a nice breeze and a view. It was 11:00, so I stopped for a lunch break. Sundance joined me after a few minutes. We stayed there for one hour. Just past our break location was a side trail to the Upper Goose Pond Cabin. I have heard a lot of great things about this Cabin. It's open to backpackers to use and it's donation based. They even serve breakfast. I had hoped to stay there, but the mileage just didn't work out. Sundance and I hiked together the rest of the day. 

We crossed over US I-90


At 4:00 we stopped at the October Mountain Shelter for an extended break. We planned to hike another 8.8 miles to the next shelter. Risscuit and Salad Days were both there. They are both thru hikers. They said they were going a couple more miles to the Cookie Lady's House. The house was 100 yards off trail at the Washington Mtn. Road crossing. You could get free cookies and buy a few other food items. Sundance and I decided to go too.

Once at the house we met Roy, the lady's husband. We bought a few boiled eggs,  a Coke and ice cream. We also had a few cookies.  Roy and the Cookie Lady live here on twenty acres. Risscuit and Salad Days were going to tent in their front yard.

                                                   Roy                                           Salad Days and Risscuit

Sundance, Salad Days and Risscuit


We had planned to hike six more miles, but given the time, and the fact that we had already done 21.0 miles, we decided to tent here also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.