Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 107, miles today - 24.7, total - 1,494.6

July 2, 2013

Stewart Hollow Brook Shelter to stealth campsite near US 44

I was on trail this morning at 7:00. It looked like another hot and muggy day. I put a little bug spray on. I don't really like using it, but the mosquitoes have been terrible.

I walked along side the Housatonic River at several points today. I also crossed it at least twice.




After ten miles I stopped at the Pine Swamp Brook Shelter for a lunch break and just to take a break from the heat. I stayed there for two hours. I took a nap for 15-20 minutes. Two girls stopped at the shelter that I hadn't met before. One was Aspen and the other Eleven. They started January 11. They both said they took a lot of time off. Aspen lives in Kentucky near Red River Gorge. We talked about our favorite places there.
After the long break I felt a little better. However, the miles still seem to come a lot harder than they should. I suspect that the heat and humidity are the reason.



 





I had planned to stop at a shelter that was 22.3 miles out. But, that shelter is 0.5 miles off trail and I felt really good, so I kept going. It was about 7:00 pm and was cooling down a little, so I decided to hike until 8:00 and at that point start looking for a place to setup my tent. I'm about one mile from the road crossing for Salisbury, CT. It's 0.8 miles off trail. I need to stop there to resupply. Tomorrow is July Fourth. I hope a few places will be open.





Tonight is the first time since I started my thru hike that I'm staying alone. On the bright side, I won't have to worry about anyone snoring.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like it would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyone who follows a dream! Did you quit a job to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you're still doing well!! Love the pics!! Rindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey mountain man! Your trip has been unbelievable! So happy you are loving this journey! Kelly K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeff
    Glad to see you are still doing so well. Keep going well and god be with you.Days 97 thru 100 brought back good memories.I used to hike that part of the trail frequently when I lived in NY.happy trails. ( carabiner guy)Chris McI

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.