Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 127, miles today - 16.3, total - 1,812.8

July 23, 2013

NH 112, Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch.

Patty, Sharon, Hank, B-Rocket and I started hiking this morning at 6:00. We were doing a fair amount of miles and it was supposed to rain all day, so we wanted to get an early start. Today is the earliest B-Rocket has ever been on trail. She was a trooper.




We were out for 12 hours today. It rained for at least 10 hours. Most of the time it was just a soft rain. The weather prevented us from having any views. Most of the trail was very rocky and steep. It made for slow going.






We had almost a 1,000 ft. climb up Mt. Wolf in the morning. We stopped at the Eliza Brook Shelter for an early lunch and break. By this point we were all wet. Sitting there made us a little chilly, but we would warm up soon enough. After lunch we had a 2,000 ft. climb up Kinsman Mountain. It was very steep and rocky. It was very difficult, but at the same time, beautiful.




We stopped at the Lonesome Lake Hut. It's the first one I've seen. It was nice. There were several people in the dinning area. People pay over $100 to say at the huts. B-Rocket, Sharon and I went inside. B-Rocket and I got a cup of hot chocolate. There are several huts in the Whites. Thru-hikers can do what's called "work-for-stay". You do some chore and then you can sleep there and eat for free. They only take a limited number each night. We hope to stay at one tomorrow night.




We had several water crossings today. Most were not very deep, but one was a bit challenging. I got wetter than the others. My foot slipped and I sat down in the water. I was already wet from the all day rain, so there was no harm done.




Bruce was waiting for us at the parking lot. We went back to the house to get cleaned up. We went out to eat at the Woodstock Station Restaurant.




It was great getting to hike with Sharon, Hank and Patty. Tomorrow B-Rocket and I will be back on trail together. 

It might be a few days before I can post again due to a lack of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.