Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 126, miles today - 8.4, total - 1,796.5

July 22, 2013

Jeffers Brook Shelter to NH 112.

We started hiking this morning at 8:00. Most of the people at the shelter were up and moving about. At least two people left before B-Rocket and me.

Our climb up Mt. Moosilauke started within fifteen minutes. We went up 3,800 ft. It was over a four mile stretch, so while it was a pretty big up, I didn't think it was too bad. As we neared the top we were in dense fog, which meant there weren't going to be any views today. It was cooler near the top, which I liked, and there weren't any mosquitoes. We saw a lot of dayhikers on trail today. I'm sure that will continue through the White's. Before reaching the top we noticed how close the small trees were growing to each other. Towards the  top there were tall cairns built to show where the trail is. If the ground was snow covered, they would help a lot.

 







We stopped at the Beaver Brook Shelter for lunch. Not-A-Bear was already there eating.  B-Rocket and I stayed there for about one hour. I ate pretzels and Nutella and a couple snacks. We originally planned to hike 9 more miles to the next shelter, but instead decided to get off at a road crossing in 1.5 miles. We decided to meet up with my friends that are section hiking the A.T. We are going to hike with them tomorrow.

After we left the shelter we had a big down. It was very steep, with many large and sometimes slippery rocks. We took our time going down. There were four thru-hikers just in front of us. They were moving pretty fast. There was Mud Mouth, Yard Sale, Maniac and Wise Owl. 





There was a very pretty cascade next to the trail on the way down. We had two south bound thru-hikers pass us. We always stop to talk to them.








When we got to the road crossing we got a ride into North Woodstock with Wise Owl and his father.

 


Maineiac resting


 We had a couple hours before my friends would pick us up, so we went to the Truant's Tavern to eat. I had lobster roll sliders. It was my first time having lobster roll, it was very good!




Bruce, Patty, Hank and Sharon picked us up at around 5:00 pm. They had already rented a house to stay at for a few days, so they said we could stay with them. I went with them to a restaurant. I only had a bowl of chili, since I had already ate. B-Rocket stayed at the house, I believe she napped.


I'm looking forward to hiking with my friends, from Ohio, tomorrow. It looks like there's a strong chance of rain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.