Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 106, miles today - 7, total - 1,469.9

July 1, 2013

CT 341, Kent to Stewart Hollow Brook Shelter.

I spent last night at John and Sherry's cottage for a second night. Today I spent a lot of time going through my gear, making sure I was ready for my return to the trail. I had to make a few repairs to my backpack and a couple stuff sacks. I took a nap for about one hour. 

Sherry's brother Bruce, and his son Scott came over to the cottage. Along with John, we talked for a good while about my gear and life on the trail. They had a lot of great questions. I love gear, so it was very enjoyable. A little later Scott's wife Sarah stopped over, along with her six year old son. John, Sarah and I talked about my hike, my blog and a number of other topics. It was a very enjoyable and relaxing day.

I hadn't seen John for 35+ years. From Scouts, I remembered him as being friendly and cheerful. He hasn't changed. John and Sherry, and their daughter Katie, made my visit with them great. They couldn't have been nicer. Meeting and spending time with their relatives was nice too.

At around 2:30 pm John drove me back to the other side of Connecticut to the trail. On the way we stopped at the outfitters in Kent. I bought new tips for my trekking poles. By 4:30 we were where the A.T. and CT 341 meet. I thanked John for all he had done and shook his hand.




I didn't have a lot of miles to hike today, but at times the sky looked as though it could rain, so I kept a pretty good pace. I passed a lady named Long Skirt. She's a section hiker that I had met a few days ago. I then passed a guy named Running Shoes. It was my first time meeting him. He's from Germany, near Munich. 

Running Shoes





I hiked for about one mile along the Housatonic River. It appears to be up. 




When I got to the shelter I set my tent up inside of the shelter. This would protect me from the mosquitoes. I was the only one there. Running Shoes and a section hiker showed up a little later. At 10:00 it started to rain. I'm glad I'm in a shelter. Listening to the rain hit the roof is relaxing.








1 comment:

  1. Your friend John is wearing a t-shirt from a bike ride Jeff 1 and I did this year. Sounds like you had a great zero day! Keep on chugging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.