Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 120, miles today - 19.0 , total - 1,733.9

July 15, 2013

The Lookout Cabin to VT 14, White River, West Hartford, VT.

I woke up at 4:45 am, by 5:00 I climbed the wooden ladder to the top of the tower, enjoying the awesome view. The sun wasn't up yet, but it was light enough to see the mountain ranges in all directions. At 5:15 two section hikers that stayed at the cabin joined me. By 5:30 the sun had rose above the horizon. The view was magnificent! Afterwards I went back inside the cabin and laid down on my sleeping bag, hoping to get a little more sleep.






We started hiking a little before 8:00. We had a lot of good trail. There were a few obstacles along the way.








We took a break at the VT 12 road crossing. Right next to the trail was a store called On The Edge Farm. They sold a limited selection of food items. We both had ice cream and a drink. While there I saw Z and Shadow. I hadn't seen Shadow since Damascus, almost three months ago.

Just before the Cloudland Road crossing there was trail magic. There were gallon jugs of water and a cooler with a variety of snacks. We took a break and ate several items.






We hiked through a couple fields that had rows of cut hay. A month ago I remember passing through several fields before they had been cut.




We saw Shepard on trail. He wears a kilt when he's hiking. I believe he's the only guy I've seen wearing one. I first met him a week or so back.




B-Rocket's mother, Jamey, met us at VT 14. She is visiting with B-Rocket for a couple days. She is very friendly. She drove us to the house of trail angels that live in Norwich, VT. Their names are Short and Sweet and Gray Beard. Their son thru-hiked the A.T. in 2007. He received a lot of trail magic when he was on trail, so they have been helping hikers ever since. There are six thru-hikers here. There's Crazy Frog, Misery, Wild Blue, Shepard, B Rocket and me. They fed us dinner, did our laundry, and gave us a place to sleep. They are super nice.

4 comments:

  1. Blazer--- I am thoroughly enjoying this blog. Thank you for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blazer,
    It's great to follow your trip. We are learning so much. The pictures are spectacular. Stay safe! Rick and Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope the Scout backpacking trip was successful.

      Delete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.