Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 44, miles today- 13.2, total- 613.2

I stayed in the sleeping bag a little later today because I knew I was only doing 13 miles. I started hiking at 8:30 am. The four of us are doing our own thing for the next few days. We hope to get back together on Saturday.

I've done about 125 miles over the last six days. So, my plan is to do a nero at the Woods Hole Hostel tomorrow, which is 7.2 miles from Wapiti Shelter where I'm at now. I got here at 3:30 pm.

Today on trail I noticed how green everything was and how many small plants there were, including a lot of poison ivy. For about two miles I walked through a rhododendron tunnel. It was slightly dark in some of the thickest areas. I crossed over a suspension bridge over Kimberling Creek. Right after the bridge I road walked 1/2 mile to the Trent's Grocery. I needed to buy a couple days worth of food, and they serve pizza and sandwiches. It was a nice break. Airborne and Sequoia were already there. After I finished my pizza I got back on trail. I saw two deer today. My first in 600 miles. I took a side trail to Dismal Falls. It was pretty. There were two guys fishing in front of it. I took another picture of a rock with two types of lichen on it. One looks like a map and the other burnt paper.

There are eight people here at the Wapiti Shelter. I've seen three of them a few times, but haven't hung around with any of them. There was a five foot black snake in the privy here. Pretty wild. One of the guys used my trekking pole to get him out. After a few pictures, he moved it 100 feet away. I don't think I'll be using the privy here. My second black snake in two days. The wild life is picking up.

I'm looking forward to Woods Hole Hostel tomorrow. It's an 1880's log cabin that opened as a hostel in 1986. I should get there around 10:00 am. I plan to eat dinner there tomorrow and breakfast on Friday. The down time will be nice. I DEFINITELY need to do my laundry and take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.