Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 71, miles today- 22.8, total- 998.6

Manassas Gap Shelter to Bears Den Hostel.
 
It rained pretty hard overnight for a few hours. By morning it looked like it would be a clear day.
 
I started hiking at 7:15 am. Both of my shins were quite sore for the first hour or so. I took it slow and stopped for several breaks. A couple hours in I felt great. I had planned to stay at a shelter tonight, but I decided to go an extra 3 miles so that I could stay at Bears Den Hostel. It's one of the nicest hostels on the AT. It's going to give me a low mileage day tomorrow, but it's worth it. I could do the 20 miles to Harper's Ferry tomorrow, but I'd get there to late to get much done. I plan to go into town Thursday mid morning.
 
In the afternoon I came to a section of trail that's know as the Rollercoaster. It's a 13.5 mile stretch of tightly packed accents and descents. A few miles into it, at a gravel road crossing, was some really great trail magic. A group of 2012 thru hikers had a super setup at a great location. They had a pop up tent, table, chairs, and a gas grill. They were serving hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, chips, candy, and drinks. It was amazing! I had one of everything.
 
When I got to the hostel I took a shower and did my laundry. The second time in three days! A lady that works at the hostel told me that there was a pot pie casserole on the stove if I wanted any. It was left over from last night. It was very good. I had two helpings. Just before sunset two guys, one hiker and one hostel worker were going out to a rock overlook to watch the sunset. They both took a guitar with them. They played great and both sang very good. I sat out there listening to them for at least one hour. I worked on my blog too.
 
The 2012 thru hikers, doing trail magic today, are staying at the hostel too. Which is great for me. They said they are going to be making omelettes for all hikers. That means I will get trail magic for the third day in a row!

1 comment:

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.