Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 68, miles today- 15.3, total- 938.6

Rock Spring Hut to Pass Mountain Hut.

I started hiking today at 7:00 am. It was in the low 30's. I had 4-1/2 miles to the Skyland Resort and Restaurant. Once there, the first thing I did was to get cleaned up in the restroom. I took a hikers bath in the sink. Luckily no one came in while I had my shirt off. After cleaning up I felt better about going into the restaurant.  They had a breakfast buffet that was very good. After a few plates of food I sat in a comfortable chair in the lobby. I worked on my blog and made a phone call. I rested there for a couple of hours. At 12:30 I decided to have lunch. I stayed at the Lodge for about four hours. From there I had 10 miles to hike to reach the shelter.

There were many dayhikers on trail today. Being Memorial Day weekend, I wasn't surprised. It was a clear, chilly and very windy day. It was so windy at times that it was difficult to hold the camera still to take pictures. There were many great overlooks again today. SNP is a beautiful park.

I passed a guy and girl from China. They had hiked up to Mary's Rock. It has a great view. I took their picture. They are both going to college in the U.S. The girl is going to school in Maryland and the guy in Boston. They asked me several questions about my hike. They were shocked at how long it takes to hike the AT. They were very friendly and offered a lot of encouragement. They wanted to take my picture too.

When I got to Pass Mountain Shelter there were several people sitting at the picnic table in front of the shelter. I thought I might have to use my tent. Luckily there was still room for me inside. Sitting at the table was Laura from Dayton. She's active with the Dayton Hikers group. I've been on a dayhike or two with her over the last couple of years. There was also Christina and Barb from Dayton. They are out hiking for a week. They said they had been asking other hikers on the trail if they knew me. But they couldn't remember my trail name, and most hikers only know me by my trail name. It was nice seeing someone on trail that I know.

There was also a lady there that thru hiked the AT in 2,000. Her trail name is Thirsty Boots. She's from Virginia and is out for a few days with her friend Dave(I think that's right). She's scheduled to do a trail maintenance trip with Wilderness Volunteers sometime soon. I've done similar trips with the American Hiking Society. I'm sure she'll have a great time. I talked to them both for a good while.

There are at least two other thru hikers here. Mess and Pain to Maine are two.

2 comments:

  1. I think I figured it out! Anyway, great job Jeff! You are getting close to the beautiful state of Pennsylvania! I hope some Rhodies and Mt. Laurel are in bloom. Enjoy.
    ameliabedelia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.