Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 47, miles today- 13.7, total- 651.3

Rice Field Shelter to The Captains.

This morning I woke up at 6:15 am. From the shelter, while still in my sleeping bag, I had a nice view of the sunrise. I watched it for several minutes. I wasn't doing many miles today, so I stayed in the bag until 8:00 am. After I ate breakfast I got back in the bag for about an hour. It was about 10:00 when I started hiking. About 100 yards in front of the shelter there was a ridge line with a great view of the valley.

There was a section of trail today that had a lot of wintergreen plants with berries. I ate three handfuls of them.

I stopped for lunch at the Pine Swamp Branch Shelter. Jet Pack and Mosyin were there also. After a few more miles we came to a zip line over a stream that took us to The Captain's. He's a guy that has a house across the stream from the AT. He let's hikers camp in his yard. He has picnic tables, a fire pit, and a refrigerator full of soft drinks on an enclosed back porch. He's a hiker and enjoys helping out fellow hikers. There are 10 people here right now. Coming across the stream is interesting. Everyone I saw made it without incident. The five young guys are here along with Foxtrot, Dutch, Boots, and Walker.

I have decided to back off on the miles a little. I'm meeting family in DC around the first of June. I am going to take a train from Harper's Ferry, which the trail passes through, to DC. If I don't slow down, I'll get there too soon. If I do 90 to 95 miles per week, the timing will be better.

3 comments:

  1. I am so envious of you! You are living the dream! I love the zip line. How cool is that?

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zip line did make it a little more interesting. It was fun watching others go across too.

      Delete
  2. Growing up in the country, a person tends to learn a few things such as what to eat and what not to eat. My mother, who is well versed in edible and medicinal plants never told me of wintergreen. So, I panicked when I first read of your first entry and encounter with the red berries. I had been taught to stay away from red berries. Now that I see you are still writing and kicking and that there are more journal entries. I guess I can relax now. Love the photos. After I finish reading your journey I guess I will have a few questions regarding staying connected as far as your entries and the tech that you are using.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.