Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 73, miles today- 8.4, total- 1018.1

David Lesser Memorial Shelter to Harper's Ferry, WV.

I left the shelter this morning at 7:00 am. It was an easy hike into town, mostly level or downhill. After about 6 miles I entered West Virginia. I had been in Virginia for at least one month. It felt great to move into another state. As I entered Harper's Ferry I crossed over the Shenandoah River.

My first stop was the Econo Lodge. I washed my clothes and took a shower.  I then headed towards the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. I got two mail drops there. One was from Ms. Clancey. In it were several cards/ letters from her students. There were also cookies and a few treats. There was also a little something from the Board office. The other package was from Nikki. It had a variety of food items. Both were great! Thank you! At the Conservancy they take a picture of hikers passing through and place them in an album along with information about the hiker. I was the 254th thru hiker to sign in this year. I stayed there looking through the album at other hikers who had arrived ahead of me.

I then walked around the historical district of Harper's Ferry. It's a very interesting town. There is a lot of history here. John Brown's Fort is here along with many interesting shops and exhibits.

I hitch hiked three times today. The first time a couple on vacation picked me up. The second time was with a couple from Nova Scotia. Their son is thru hiking. He's 150 miles south of Harper's. His trail name is Novi. They gave me a Nova Scotia pin when I got out of their car. The third time was with a lady that owns a jewelry shop in the historical district. At one time she lived in Marietta, Ohio.

Tomorrow I'm going to zero here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.