Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 48, miles today- 18.3, total- 669.6

I got on trail at 8:00 am. I saw the section hiker Boots off and on the first few hours. The two of us were at Wind Rock at the same time. The sky was clear giving us a nice view.


At 12:30 I stopped at the War Spur Shelter for lunch. After a few minutes Boots and Moseyin stopped too. After eating, as I was getting my pack ready to head back out, Great Legs and Hoops showed up. I hadn't seen Great Legs for  a few weeks. He said there was a group of eight hikers coming our way. There was Guard, Wanderlust, Pumpkin Head, Sooty, Pearl, King, Slip, and Buttons. The group had went to a bluegrass festival near Pearisburg. It was at the lodge that was used in the movie Dirty Dancing. So they were off trail for a day. A few minutes later Iceman, Dutch and McJetpack showed up. Then Butch, Sundance, Pringles, Gepetto and Patches arrived. I started out at the shelter by myself, it ended up being a reunion. There were 21 of us. I hadn't seen Guard or Wanderlust since Damascus.  I stayed at the shelter for another hour talking with them. It was an amazing change of events.

After the long lunch break I hiked with Wanderlust and Pumpkin Head. Most of the group was going to camp at a guys property that is next to the trail. They met him at the festival. I wanted to see Wanderlust a little more, so I went along. Rain was moving in so the guy told us we could sleep in his pole barn. I hope the rain has stopped by morning.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Smith,
    That is a cool zipline. Was it fun? My dad set up a zipline for us in the backyard a few weeks ago. It runs between two trees and you have to get your feet out at the end to push off the tree. Maybe I should ask him to take it over our creek. Have a good hike tomorrow.

    Braden Matsudo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The zip line was fun Braden. Everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for following my hike.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.