Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 13, miles today-15.8, total- 153.1

First a few things from yesterday..I got to NOC at 8 am. I texted Wanderlust to see where he was. He called me back in a few minutes.  He said he was getting ready to get on trail, but that he'd come see me first.  Wanderlust is 25 to 30, quick to smile and to laugh.  When he got to the restaurant it was like seeing an old friend, even though I knew little about him.  We talked for 20 minutes about the brutal winter weather that we both had endured.  He was 5 miles ahead of me at the time, so while his details were different they were at the same time similar.  It was very serious at the time, but now we could laugh about it all. He talked for a few minutes, then we laughed, then I talked and we laughed again.  It went on for 20 minutes. It was great seeing him again. We said goodbye and he hit the trail. Next...Head Bone texted me saying that he was taking another zero in Franklin with his wife.  He would be at least three days behind me. Perhaps I will see him in the months to follow.  Next...while getting my bunk I saw Raider who had stayed at the shelter I was at the night before.  He retired from the Marines last month.  A great guy.  I asked if he wanted to eat dinner together, he said sure.  While eating he suggested we hike together.  Next...while eating Phys Ed walked in. I was hoping he'd catch up. I went over to talk about his plans.

Today Raider and I had breakfast at the restaurant at 8am. I saw Oaks and Sweet Pea there. I hadn't seen them since Blueberry Patch several days earlier. Today I hiked all day with Raider.  He's a very strong hiker. He goes up hills like he's on level ground.  We get along great.  We plan to hike the Smokys together. I met Salsa and her daughter Twix. They are from Arizona. I also met Turtle and his wife Snail. They live in Germany.  They attempted to thru hike last year. After 800 miles Snail became sick and they had to stop. They came back this year and started from the beginning.  We're staying at Brown Fork Gap shelter. It's pouring down rain at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Today I went on a Nature Trail and we saw a giant salamander and we were looking for Cray Dad's. (Cray Fish)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.