Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 16, miles today- 13.5, total- 196

I got on trail this morning at 8:30 am. It was about 30 degrees and clear. I hiked today with Phys Ed and Jack. They both retired from teaching last year. We passed a benchmark on top of Thunderhead Mountain. We were over one mile high. I took a picture of lichen on a large rock. There were a few rocks covered with it. There are many varieties of it. I think lichen is pretty cool. Today is the first day that I have felt like I've had my appetite back while on trail. Several people I've talked to have said that they weren't eating as much on trail as they thought they would either. I'll probably stay up until 8pm. We are supposed to get snow Thursday into Friday. Hopefully it won't amount to much. On Friday I hope to start pushing the miles for a few days. We will be at Clingmans Dome tomorrow morning. If it's clear we'll have a great view. I sure hope I see a bear before I leave the Great Smoky Mountains.

8 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your appetite-"the hunger" will hit soon. I heard it was between the 2nd-3rd week. And when it does I'll make sure you have something!
    Snow snow stay away!!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've seen a lot of great views! The pictures and blog are such a great keepsake of this experience. I feel like I'm on this journey right along with you :) (the easy version, that is lol) Love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach Blazer, I have just found the blog and love reading about your experiences on the trail. Sounds like you are having a great time and meeting some great people. Keep the messages coming and best of luck the rest of the way.

    Adam Raby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to hearing about your Smokies experience. Be safe. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeff, this is Jenn from the Cinci backpacking group. I was on one of the beginners trips you led to Red River Gorge last spring and remember you talking about wanting to do the AT. So glad that it is working out for you!

    I am currently swamped with both work and grad school (writing my thesis...yuck!) and haven't had time for any hiking in the past few months. So thanks for keeping such a great blog because I think I'm going to live vicariously through you until I'm finished with grad school and have time to get back on the trail myself :)

    Have safe travels! And keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scenery is so pretty! Expecialy when you can see the clouds! Your so lucky to hike the Trail! I hope you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.