Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 14, miles today- 11.5, total- 164.6

It rained most of the night. I was glad that I was in a shelter. Raider and I were on trail at 8:30 am. It was clear and sunny. We saw two ladies and a man that were doing trail maintenance. They had sawed a tree in half that was blocking the trail. I offered to help them move the tree off the trail. Raider and I dropped our packs and moved the tree.

I hiked all day with Raider. We had a huge downhill as we neared the Fontana Dam. We could see the lake and dam through the trees as we hiked. When we got to the road crossing we hitch hiked to the Fontana Lodge where I had mailed a food drop. The plan was to hike one more mile to the next shelter after picking up my food. Raider decided to stay at the Lodge because his knee had been bothering him. His wife is meeting him tomorrow. He plans to get back on trail hopefully by Friday. I decided to sleep in his room tonight. I will head back to the trail at 8:30 am tomorrow. At that time I will be at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. The forecast calls for 8 inches of snow on Thursday. Should be interesting.

I may not be able to post while in Smokys. Hope to be through them in five days.

14 comments:

  1. 8 years ago, I hiked from Fontana Dam to the NOC. It was one of the few sections of the AT that I've hike. I'll never forget the time we were almost stranded on the north shore of Fontana Lake! Remember?

    Everyday, I look forward to reading about your progress.

    Be safe,
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Raider about that trip yesterday. I didn't tell him about the boat being late though.

      Delete
  2. Have u seen a bear or snake yet:|



    YIKES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. Hopefully I'll see a few bears in the Smokys that aren't camera shy.

      Delete
  3. Jeff,
    I really enjoy following along on your journey. Keep it up and good luck!

    John Cravaack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I finally figured out how to leave a comment! :) Hopefully the weather gets a little better for you, but it still sounds like you are having a great time and meeting a lot of nice people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I hope to be in Harper's Ferry before my birthday.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that things are going well. The people you have met are very interesting. I fee that I have met them, also. Hope you are able to hike with someone through the smokies. I saw a report that Newfound Gap road is closed due to landslide. Between gatlinburg and Cherokee . Sounds like things are very wet. Be safe. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope meet up with some of the guys I've already got to know a little. If not someone else will come along. It always works out.

      Delete
  6. Be safe, Dad!!! Love you, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are having an amazing time!!! We are all enjoying following you here in Madeira!!! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm amazed at all you've already experienced & all the people you've met in such a 'short' amount of time. Definitely have to be a bit tough to make it through some of the weather...hoping that brightens (and warms) up for you soon!!!
    Rindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What AMAZING pace!! We continue to read your blog in class and the students ask about you every day! We LOVE the pictures! Keep up the great work and know that we are all here supporting and cheering you on!!!

    Julie Chancey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeff, I am following your journey. So happy for you. Have a great journey. Cheering you on to Maine. Patti W. (now known as Shadow on the trail) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.