Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 17, miles today- 10.8, total- 206.8

We awoke to steady rain. It was in the low 30's. We had a 1,000 ft climb to Clingmans Dome. As we started up, the trail turned to ice. It made for very slow going. It continued to rain the rest of the day. The trail was ice for 75% of the time and standing water the other 25%. I now have a yellow rain jacket to go with my blue pants (school colors). I still have my blue one also. I got the yellow one in the "hiker box" at the NOC outfitters. A hiker box is a box at a hostel or outfitters that backpackers can leave items that they don't want. It could be food or a piece of gear. You can leave or take items. Back to today...After 10.8 miles we got to Newfound Gap at about 3:30 pm. We still had a few miles to go to reach the shelter. Phys Ed and Jack, trail name Sequoia, wanted to get a ride to Gatlinburg and get a room for the night. There was another guy, Guard, wanting to go too. So that's what we did. We shared a ride and a room at Motel Six. Guard and I are getting back on trail tomorrow. Phys Ed and Sequoia are going to zero here. I enjoyed hiking with both of them. They are great guys. 

7 comments:

  1. great job jeff. we love your posts and pics.
    Happy Trails from the flight crew.... Patty, Hank, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all enjoying your blog. I hope you see a bear too (safely of course). Be safe and healthy!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really been enjoying your pictures and blogs! :) Hope you see a bear too - but like Lora said, safely! After a full day of rain and ice, I'm glad you were able to get to a motel where you could be warm and rest comfortably.

    I look forward to the next blog!

    Take care,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Hikers' Box is a great idea. Recycling @ its best. Continue to enjoy and share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are u growing a beard???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, the weather looks great next week,how is all your gear working??
    Is your tent keeping you dry? Are your boots dry in the morning? Have you last a lot of weight yet? cabana boy rick taylor

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are from Ohio and hoped to meet up with you on the AT at Spence Field, but you made it through there the day before us! We stayed down at a campsite on Anthony Creek trail on Wedesday night the 3rd, and that night it rained HORRIBLY and our partners got all there gear and sleeping bags soaked. We stayed bone dry in our hammocks, but they were so miserable we had to go back down instead of coming up to the AT. We met 3 guys from Louisiana who probably stayed with you at Spence Field.. They said you all had 14 people in the shelter that night due to the rain.....I am sorry I missed you, I wanted to meet you and hike a bit with you.....I am in the hiking Meetup in Cincinnati with you....I am from Dayton, OH....John Youker

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.