Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 19, miles today- 20.5, total- 242.9

From winter to spring in one day. I left Tri-corner Knob shelter at 9:15 am. It was in the low 30's. The first few miles were snow pack or ice covered. I came very close to falling once. I spun around on a sheet of ice. How I stayed on my feet is beyond me. The farther I went the less snow there was. Near Yellow Creek Gap there were metal parts from a fighter jet that crashed there in the 80's. I was told that both pilots on board died. Later in the day it reached 70 degrees. When I left the Smokys it was like I left winter behind. As I exited the woods near I-40 I saw a vehicle and a few backpackers. That can mean only one thing... TRAIL MAGIC! Julie and Rebecca, who live near Asheville NC, were there with food and drinks. It's amazing how an unexpected treat can lift your spirits. Thru-hikers talk about it for days afterwards. It was their first time ever doing trail magic. They were at a perfect location. Their two dogs were cool too. I'm tenting at a campsite with Rabbit. Two other hikers, Garbage Man and Hot Rocks, are close by. Hot Rocks said she's changing her trail name. Her civilian name is Caroline. They both recently graduated from Maine University. They seem really nice. We plan to stay together tomorrow night. Rabbit's a good guy too. We had a campfire tonight. It's almost 10:00 pm, way past my bed time. Good night.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the weather is better. Trail magic is wonderful. It seems to bring joy to the hiker and the presenter. Be safe. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day, warmer weather and trail magic!! :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The view is amazing in the last shot, but wow, that pose looks risky! Be careful... don't be a daredevil out there!! Bella saw the picture and said, "That's Grandpa!" :)
    Love from the Kohlmans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right after college, we tented right next to the trail near Waterville. I wonder if it's changed much since that summer in the mid-70's. We walked for a short while on the trail, and I remember that the water in the creek was so clear and delicious. Glad you're having this amazing experience and sharing the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it's Bonnie! (Richardson) :) I'm loving this blog. Seems you have easily transitioned into AT Thru-hiker life. Life is so busy here. I'm living vicariously through you. Can't wait to find an open window in my schedule and figure out a time to meet up with you on the trail. Stay safe and keep on truckin'! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff,
    I look forward to reading your blog every day. The pictures and history lessons you are sending back to us are just incredible.
    Stay safe...Trish (aka.... trail name "Penny")

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.