Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Day 22, zero day, total miles 273.9

I was able to watch the Championship game last night at the Spring Creek Tavern. I wish the game hadn't started so late. By the end of the game Guard and I were the only hikers there. They usually close at 10:00 pm but stayed open for the game. I was very tired by the end of the game, but I was determined to watch all of it. Sorry Jeanne, I was rooting for Louisville.  Spring Creek makes great pizza. I had black olives, banana peppers, and mushrooms. Delicious! This morning Rabbit, Great Legs, Guard, and I ate breakfast at the Smoky Mountain Diner. There aren't many choices. It's a very small town. There aren't any traffic lights that I saw. Guard went back on trail today. Rabbit and I are sharing a room at Sunnybank inn hostel. It's in a house built in 1875. It's a cool place. Very comfortable. Rabbit and I washed our clothes at the laundry mat. We both spent some time at the Hiker's Ridge Ministry. They have computers and wi-fi service available. They also have free cookies, fruit and drinks. I also refilled my fuel container there for free. Julie was the lady there helping people. Very nice. Rabbit, Raider and I had ice cream at a small cafe. I had brown sugar with bacon. I don't see it catching on. Spent a little time looking in the outfitter and the Dollar General. Beginning in Erwin I will have to resupply myself at whatever store is available. I have done mail drops up to now. Rabbit and Great Legs were making suggestions. I talked to Garbage Man and Caroline, they both now have trekking poles. Caroline got a pair for free from the hostel, they were left by a hiker. I got a text from Phys Ed, him and Sequoia are in Hot Springs. I spent some time sitting in a rocking chair on a second floor covered balcony. Very relaxing. It's a warm sunny day. I ate dinner with a group of backpackers. There was Rabbit, Raider, Caroline, Garbage Man, Phys Ed, Sequoia, Great Legs and myself. I had pizza again with different toppings. After dinner Rabbit and I went to Hot Springs Spa. We sat in a hot tub with 103 degree spring water. Raider did it earlier in the day and said he felt great afterwards. So we thought it might help us with minor aches and pains. It did feel great. We are back on trail tomorrow. I hope to get in a lot of miles. We may have rain Thursday into Friday. A couple people have asked about sending me a card or note. I'm okay without it, but if you would like to here's an option... Jeff Smith, c/o General delivery, 211 North Reynolds Street, Damascus Va 24236-9998, hold for AT hiker, ETA April 22.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Jeff/Blazer~I'm Caroline's mother and I so enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the photos that you have posted. Its good to get a sense of what she is seeing and who she is meeting along the way...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a relaxing day. The ice cream you ate sounded weird. I don't think that I could ever hike 2,179 miles. I'm glad you got to watch the basketball game. My dad would not let me watch it because it started too late. I hope you have a good hike tomorrow. Good night.

    Braden Matsudo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, please give Caroline and John a hug from me. I am following your blog and can't tell you how thrilled I am that you met up with my granddaughter and her guy. Loved your pictures. Glad that the kids got trek poles. I'm checking on you every day. Hoping maybe to meet and greet you somewhere in the White Mountains of NH. We are not very far from the AT. Sincerely, Margaret Record (living a dream through my granddaughter.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, I love reading your blog every day. What an adventure and now you have a following from another family!! Stay healthy and safe! "Penny"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I honeymooned near Hot Springs, and we visited a lot of the places you mentioned. Thanks for bringing back good memories through your post and pictures!

    And yes, you are absolutely right...there are no stoplights in that town :)

    Safe travels,
    Jenn Seley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.