Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day 39, miles today- 17.3, total- 500.0

Today was a beautiful day! A little cool, but clear and sunny.

I had a big up this morning over Buzzard Rock. It was a 1900 ft climb. The view from the top was very nice. Smiles, Gypsy, and Hancock were there. I took a picture of the three of them. Smiles is sitting on the ground. Gypsy and Hancock are a friendly young couple from New Hampshire. I've seen them a few times over the past week.

I passed through Grayson Highlands State Park. I saw dozens of wild ponies roaming around. They are called wild but they are actually very friendly. While I was looking at the ponies with a few dayhikers, one lady started talking to me about my hike. Before she left she offered me an apple. It was delicious. After I had finished it, I gave the apple core to one of the ponies. I received trail magic and gave trail magic to a pony. It was a win win. I passed through a rock tunnel that's called Fatman Squeeze. It's a good thing I lost those four pounds. :-) The views in Grayson Highlands are really nice. It's one of the prettiest sections of the AT.

When I got to Wise Shelter I had completed 500.0 miles of the AT. WOW!!!! 500 miles...that's a long way. But, still a lot of miles to go. At the shelter there were four past thru hikers doing trail magic. They were giving away hot dogs, chips, and Pop Tarts. Pretty sweet! Tug Boat and Smiles are the only current thru hikers here with me. I've seen Tug Boat a few times over the last couple days.

My feet felt good again today. Hopefully that continues. Word has it that there's going to be trail magic at a road crossing 7 miles from the shelter tomorrow. It's almost 9:00, I need to get to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics of the ponies! Glad your feet are doing better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.