Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 31, miles today- 18.3, total- 419.2

We were on trail this morning at 7:40 am. Before I left I took a picture of Johnny Cash, he is 18 years old and from upstate NY. He is carrying a guitar, I didn't get a chance to hear him play. There was also a guy named Smiles. He is from England. He came here just to hike the AT. Seemed like a nice guy. Most of the morning we hiked along a pretty mountain stream. Much of the trail was lined with rhododendron, I hope I'm able to see some of it in bloom along the trail. I took another picture of lichen on a large rock. There were several today that I passed. I saw 4 snakes today. I took a picture of two of them. I also saw a lizard on a tree. We passed Laurel Falls. It's a beautiful falls. We hiked downstream of it for a few miles. I hiked today with Sequoia and a few miles with Gaurd. Gaurd is in the picture at an overlook. Sequoia and I are staying at Braemar Castle hostel in Hampton Tn. We are resupplying here in Hampton. It's a very small town. Not much to chose from in the way of stores. There is supposed to be heavy rain tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll get on trail in the morning or not. I hope I'm able to get in at least 5-10 miles. I had planned to do 18 miles, but that may not happen. I need to put some duct tape on my rain gear. I have a few holes in the top and bottoms. I also put a piece of duct tape on my right foot during the day. I was getting a hot spot.

12 comments:

  1. You are seeing some great sights! Congrats on reaching NC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful... I hear there are rattlesnakes in the Smokies. lol

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love Love all the photos....beautiful. Stay healty and safe!! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having fun reading about your adventures! Have fun and take care of yourself.

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those rhodies! I am enjoying your blog and photos. Good job Blazer. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Blazer! We are enjoying your blog and wanted to let you know that we are happy to see how well you are doing. Thanks for mentioning us in your blog. Do you see Garbage Man, Caroline, and Rabbit anymore? We see you have met up with Guard. We provided all of them with Trail Magic as well. Please tell them all hello if you see them.

    Safe and happy hiking,

    Julie and Rebecca (Trail angels just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duct tape! The answer to everything!
    Susan C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a true outdoorsman until you eat a snake. It's all about rationing. ~~~~~;)~

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurel Falls!! Now that's more my speed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Laurel Falls is a little more difficult to get to than the one in the Smoky Mountains. It was beautiful!

      Delete
  10. Haven't read your blog for a while. You are seeing some amazing sights! Keep on hiking! I had to look for you in the picture with that beard!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Now that's an interesting photo of the lizard. I grew up in very rural Augusta County (Waynesboro-Staunton) and Galax, VA and I never in my life have ever seen a lizard like that in those mountains. That is quite a specimen. So far the snakes you have photographed are not poisonous (I think). Usually the heads are more triangular where the venom sacs are located. Beautiful photos of the scenery. I'm reading your blog because I am in the planning stage of an AT thru-hike in March of 2015. I am drinking all of this up like it was water for the mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.