Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 41, miles today- 25.5, total- 556.1

The day started off with a light rain. It continued until around 1:00 pm. I started hiking at 8:20 am. My feet felt very good today, although they were wet from several hours of rain.

Most of today I was hiking near or through farm land. It was a nice change. It was very pretty. The farm animals looked at me like they weren't sure what I was. Having a backpack and using trekking poles must look a little strange to them. From past experience I know that horses are very uncomfortable when they see backpackers. There were many stiles to go over today. I fell today. It's only the second time since I started. Way less than most people I've talked to. I glanced back because I thought I heard hikers behind me and I tripped over a branch on the edge of the trail. I did a face plant. Luckily there was a good bed of duff to soften the impact. I took a picture of the area. My trekking pole is pointing where my face hit. No injuries.

I was able to visit the Lindamood School. It's a one room school house built in 1874. It's near a Settlers Museum, which I didn't visit. The school house was very interesting. There was a list of punishments for the students and the rules for the teachers. I hope you're able to read them. They are pretty amusing. I'm 90% sure that the flag hanging in the school is displayed wrong. The stars should be on the left side. I left them a note in the register that was there for visitors to sign.

I took a picture of Alex, she just started hiking in Damascus, she's a pretty strong hiker. She's from the Boston area. She goes to the University of Vermont. She was eating lunch at the same restaurant as me. She goth the 16 oz Hikers' Burger, and she ate all of it. I got the 8 oz burger, fries and hot fudge cake. I also saw Dude, Seventeen and Fidget there.

After hiking 23 miles I came upon trail magic. It was right before my last big up for the day. It was 7 pm, I was tired and hungry. The timing was perfect. There were two coolers left by a past thru hiker. One had cans of pop and the other packages of HoHos. Dude, Seventeen and Fidget showed up a few minutes after me.

Before I reached the shelter the sun had set. The shelter area was crowded. There must be 16+ people here. Phys Ed and Sequoia are both here along with several familiar faces. By the time I got my tent set up and ate a couple snacks, everyone was ready to go to sleep, and that includes me. Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff, I am so enjoying following your posts. You seem to be meeting so many interesting people and the "Trail Magic" and kindness of strangers makes me happy. The flowers and trees are beautiful but not the snakes! Jane Pressler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, sounds like you are really making some good progress. I think you are starting along the section of the trail we are going to hike, come June. From Knob Maul Branch Shelter, to Jenkins Shelter. Maybe you can say a bit about it as you pass by. We are all learning a great deal about life on the trail. It sounds like a great experience. Be safe and we will continue to watch your progress. Take care. Rick and Amy H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The students loved the school house! You are making really good time. We are impressed with your milage!

    Julie Chancey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.