Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 24, miles today- 15.5, total- 309

Raider, Rabbit, Grim, and I got up at 4:45 am. We were on trail at 5:30 am. The plan was to get off of the ridge before the bad weather arrived. Starting early gave us the opportunity to watch sunrise. It was very pretty. I met M-80, Trooper, and their dog Willow. M-80 started thru hiking last year but broke his ankle 4 weeks into it.  We made great time hiking today. We had some really great views. I took a picture of lycopodium. It's also referred to as ground pine. It's common in many of the places I've backpacked. When we got to Devil Fork Gap I checked the weather forecast. It called for 100% chance of severe thunderstorms overnight with high winds and hail. Raider, Grim, and I decided to get a ride to Uncle Johnny's hostel in Erwin Tn. We will get back on trail in the morning after the storm passes. Rabbit chose to stay in his tent. At the hostel we met a couple that had had the Nora virus. They are better now. We are going to avoid the shelters for a while to be safe.  

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are not one the sick ones. Nice pics from your early rise hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you didn't get caught in the storm. Bummer you have to stay out of the shelters. Sounds like you've made some good choices on when to stay at the Inn's or get off the trail. You are making great time. Good hiking buddies at your pace. Will they take the dog on the trail the whole time? Pretty cool here today, back in the 40's. I have a long run tomorrow so I hope at least the sun comes out.
    Spectacular pictures. I've never seen ground pine before.
    Susan C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunrise pics are gorgeous. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.