Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 23, miles today- 19.9, total - 293.5

Staying at Sunnybank was great. Sleeping in a house, in a bed, with pillows was really nice. Rabbit, Raider and I went to the diner across the street from the Sunnybank Inn. I got a cup of coffee. While there, I saw Sparky and Kasey eating breakfast. We then went back to the Inn for breakfast at 8:30 am. Afterwards Raider, Rabbit and I headed back to the trail. Raider had hiked 110 miles in 4 days to catch back up to me after he took a few days off. So now there were three of us. It was about 10:20 am. We had a nice view looking down at Hot Springs. We saw Phys Ed and Sequoia taking a break. Grim was there also, he's from New York and works as a nurse. We took a break with them. I saw Phys Ed and Sequoia later in the day too. I have been seeing more and more small flowers in the past week. Rabbit and I took a side trail up to the Rich Mountain Lookout Tower. It was a clear day, so we had great views. We saw Caroline and Garbage Man. Caroline said she got a weather forecast calling for severe weather tomorrow. We decided to push the miles so we would be closer to getting off the ridge we were hiking on. When we got to the Little Laurel Shelter there was a sign that said people had got sick inside the shelter. It was not safe to stay in. We had heard that there was a group of hikers out front of us that had been ill. We decided to get up early and try and beat the storm that was coming our way.

6 comments:

  1. Jeff you're doing AWESOME!!! We are SO proud of you and your blog is amazing! The students love love love reading it :) We are cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've told many many people about the MES students.

      Delete
  2. I was told that the French Broad River is the second oldest river in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (deleted comment above due to typos)

    Hi Jeff,

    This is great fun following your trek. I have a couple of questions:

    How did Raider know where you were in order to catch up? Word of mouth, or do you record in logs as you travel, or did he just keep walking until he stumbled upon you? I find the AT protocol fascinating.

    Also, when do you expect to be passing folks coming south on the AT?

    Travel mercies, Robynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raider knew about how many miles per day I was doing and he knew I wanted to get to Hot Springs to watch the basketball game. He texted me when he was ten miles from Hot Springs. I'll see south bounders when I'm in Vermont. Most of them start in early June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you found a trail "Bestie"! I dint know I mine would hike 110 miles in 4 days to catch up! Lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my journey, and for your comment.

Thanks, Jeff, aka Blazer

Please keep all comments kid friendly.